If you are having very little desire for sex and if because of this issue, your life is in distress, you may be suffering from Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder. However, just because you have no or very little interest in sex, it does not imply that you are actually, sexually dysfunctional. But in case, your lack of sexual interest and desire is causing a lot of distress in your everyday life then you could be diagnosed with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder.
HSDD is defined as the absence of sexual thoughts, fantasies and desire for sexual activity, which leads to interpersonal or personal distress.
- Lack of sexual desire or fantasy for engaging in sexual activity.
- Marked inter-personal or personal distress due to absence of desire or lack of fantasy.
- Disorder has not been triggered by any major medical or psychiatric condition or due to any substance abuse.
Some Common Symptoms
- The patient seems to have no interest in or desire for any kind of sexual interaction or activity including self-stimulation.
- He may not have any sexual thoughts and fantasies or may be having them very rarely.
- He is really bothered or worried about his lack of sexual fantasies or sexual activity.
Few Physical Factors Leading to HSDD
A number of factors contribute to low sex drive including:
- Medical Diseases: Several nonsexual diseases may adversely affect desire for sex. Some of those diseases include cancer, arthritis, diabetes, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and neurological diseases.
- Sexual Issues: When you are not able to experience orgasm or if you are experiencing acute pain during sex, it may hamper your sexual urge or desire.
- Medications: Numerous prescription drugs including anti-seizure medications and some anti-depressants are known to be libido-killers.
- Surgery: Any sort of surgery particularly, the one that is associated with your genital tract or the breasts may affect sexual function, body image and sexual desire.
- Fatigue: Life is pretty hectic with many responsibilities to take care of. Exhaustion could be a cause for low sex drive. Fatigue from surgery, illness, taking care of old parents or young children etc. may trigger low libido.
- Lifestyle Habits: Excessive alcohol may adversely affect your sex drive. Smoking restricts blood flow that may be responsible for dampening arousal.
- Hormonal Changes: Changes in the levels of hormones may affect your sexual desire and drive during menopause or pregnancy.
Some psychological factors that may cause low sex drive and lead to Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder may include:
- Low self-esteem
- Poor body image
- Mental health issues such as depression or anxiety
- Stress mainly work stress or financial stress
- History of sexual or physical abuse
- Previous negative sexual encounters
- Many women need emotional closeness for sexual intimacy. So these relationship issues may trigger lack of sexual desire.
- Absence of proper connection with the partner
- Unresolved fights or conflicts
- Poor communication regarding sexual preferences and sexual needs
- Breach of trust or infidelity.
Possible Course of Treatment
- Proper assessment and effective medical treatment.
- Testosterone could be used for boosting sexual desire. Avoid long-term use.
- Antidepressants effective in depression-related low libido.
- Sex Therapy Counselling.
Doctor Mark Attalla is a highly competent and renowned Cosmetic Surgeon with a wide experience in Cosmetic Surgery. He is the director and founder of Chelsea Cosmetic Clinic and is totally committed to providing his clients with the best possible natural cosmetic results. Chelsea Cosmetics Clinic Melbourne takes immense pride in its team of highly experienced and fully-qualified doctors, cosmetic surgeons, relationship counsellors and sex therapists who offer assistance to Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder patients.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_single_image image=”4263″ border_color=”grey” img_link_large=”” img_link_target=”_self” img_size=”full”][/vc_column][/vc_row]